TechSupport Forum

Go Back   Perfect World > Technical Assistance > Network and Connection Problems
Login

Notices

Tech Support User
Perfect World,

Along with many other paying customers throughout Texas, my connection to the STO / CO servers is so terrible as to be completely unplayable throughout most of the day.

The problem is Cogent, specifically te9-4.ccr01.dfw03.atlas.cogentco.com, which is the first Cogent hop out of the D/FW metroplex (much of Central Texas routes through here, as well). This hop frequently suffers from bouts of severe packet loss, and consistently high latency, making it impossible for us to use the service we are PAYING for.

We have been trying to sort the problem out by having our ISPs contact Cogent. However, PWE/Cryptic are customers of Cogent, and are much more likely to get positive results than any of us. Please contact Cogent, have them do whatever is necessary to FIX this issue. The Tech forums here, for CO, and for STO, all have threads concerning this problem which are seemingly being ignored.

I realize that PWE/Cryptic may not have any direct control over the situation with Cogent, but you DO have a business arrangement with them. You also have an obligation to your PAYING customers to do whatever you can to remedy the situation, even if that means finding a more reputable bandwidth and/or co-location provider.

Last edited by gnostromo; 09-13-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Tech Support User
# 2
09-13-2012, 02:32 AM
I'm not going to bother to move the entire thread over... They can look at the information we've already been providing. >.>

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...382861&page=10
Tech Support User
# 3
09-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Champions Online player here, I can back up what Gnostromo said. I too live in Central Texas, and I did a tracert with the same problem, it crashes at a Cogent hop.

Please don't ignore us on this matter, fix the problem.
Tech Support Machine
# 4
09-13-2012, 12:00 PM
No worries, you all are doing fine with the info provided.

Can you all power cycle your router/modem and PC (unplug from electricity) for about 10 minutes and then plug them back in and try again?

Cogentco seems to have fixed some of the domain musical chairs that was going on for many players that were having problems.

Please contact tech support if you have further issues, and we can provide some more options.
Tech Support User
# 5
09-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPanda16 View Post
No worries, you all are doing fine with the info provided.

Can you all power cycle your router/modem and PC (unplug from electricity) for about 10 minutes and then plug them back in and try again?

Cogentco seems to have fixed some of the domain musical chairs that was going on for many players that were having problems.

Please contact tech support if you have further issues, and we can provide some more options.
I see where this is going...

Though I do give you props for actually responding to the issue.

EDIT: Just went ingame, was fine and no issues until I zoned to a different instance and then I started having problems. Did a quick Tracert to test as soon as it started and Cogent is still causing the problem.

Fix it please!

Last edited by remo85; 09-15-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Tech Support Machine
# 6
09-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I am not passing it off as something small.

Many of our players wrote back to us saying it now worked for them.

There is a weird DNS issue that cogentco ISP is having issues with (PWE contacted their support), and we are waiting on replies. Turning off your router and back on can give you a new IP address, which can also fix the issue.

Contact tech support so that we can provide you with some other options to work around the problem =)
Tech Support User
# 7
09-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:

There is a weird DNS issue that cogentco ISP is having issues with (PWE contacted their support), and we are waiting on replies. Turning off your router and back on can give you a new IP address, which can also fix the issue.

Contact tech support so that we can provide you with some other options to work around the problem =)
I did as you said, problem still remains, did a quick tracert and it is still Cogent.

I know I sound angry, but I did pay $30 for 3 months of Champions Online more than a week ago, and I have only been able to play all of maybe 3 days(off and on as it still affected those three days). I missed most of the anniversary as have a lot of these players with the same problem. Which means I missed that nice double xp, while everyone else got to have fun.

Do you plan on reimbursing us in some way? I think we are being VERY cooperative and pretty darn patient about the whole thing.

Last edited by remo85; 09-13-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Tech Support User
Tech Support User
# 9
09-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hita597 View Post
Oh god yes, forget what I said about reimbursement, if they fix the problem completely I'm just gonna call it even.
Tech Support User
# 10
09-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Quote:

I'm sure that for every one of us on these forums complaining about the issue, there are many more players who just give up in silent frustration. So thanks for listening and responding to us.

I haven't had time to follow up on this yet, but first chance I get I'll powercycle my modem, flush my dns cache (hey can't hurt), and report back.