TechSupport Forum

Go Back   Perfect World > Technical Assistance > Video & Graphics Problems
Login

Notices

Tech Support User
So, things started getting weird with Blacklight: Retribution since the double GP weekend. Booting from Steam would just give me a black screen. With a bit of fiddling, I managed to start up the game by launching the .exe directly from the folder, though it didn't play stably. Tried again last night, and I was notified at the log-in screen that my NVIDIA drivers were out of date, which was good news since I figured it might have been the problem all along.

So, I update the drivers to 306.97, reboot, and get the following error message: "Your video card does not support alpha blending with floating point render targets (D3DFMT_A16B16G16R16F), which is required to run this game. Exiting..." Re-install drivers and BLR, reboot, same effect.

Most of the threads that I've seen about this problem suggest that players are trying to get their games to run on ancient machines, but mine has been handling BLR fine until now. Running Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002), Intel Quad Core Q6600 @2.4 GHz, 3.58 GB of RAM, GeForce GTX 560, DirectX 11.

Halp?

Update: Further digging in Device Manager for my video card shows "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"

Last edited by biglankyb; 11-03-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Tech Support Machine
# 2
11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Make sure that you installed the correct version for the right OS.

Try rolling back to earlier versions that worked. Or reinstall to an earlier version.

I usually tell people to wait 3-6 months to update their video drivers unless it is ultra critical for your system because AMD or nVidia will do silent revisions as users report problems for each version of an update. They usually have them ironed out some time after release.

Auto updates is not a good thing in relation to hardware. I like being notified updates are ready, but I like to research on my own what kinds of issues users have with releases before I allow them on my systems.